Thursday, October 28, 2010

Another one bites the dust.

 Limewire, which no one was really using anymore anyway, finally went away for good. After a four year battle with the music industry, the "file sharing" service that was well known by anyone who's ever burned a CD or owned an ipod was shut down by court order. The service had been facing lawsuits since its upstart, often, getting off with minimal punishment.

Limewire's plan to get out of this is to try and make themselves legitimate, like what Napster did. I doubt their abilities to do this because of all the damages they'll have to pay after losing the court battle, which could be in the billions. Also, I didn't think anyone used Napster after it went legit, so I really doubt anyone's going to use Limewire.

Now, the fact that Limewire is gone doesn't change a whole lot in the world of pirating music, there are certainly many other ways out there to get music without paying for it. Dirpy, being my personal favorite at the moment (also apparently legal) is a great way to get songs on an individual basis, and there's no threat of viruses. I've personally never bought music on itunes, I think that last CD I bought was Marcy Playground, because back in '97 "sex and candy" was the illest. I hope these things don't change, because, while Limewire going away doesn't effect me very much, if it leads to me having to pay for music in the future, well, that's just going to suck.

(cnet news)



No comments:

Post a Comment